Jason Shen is an executive coach for founders who want more.
Confidence. Results. Growth.
Money. Time. Recognition.
Freedom. Challenge. Insight.
What’s your more?
In executive coaching, the coach actively partners with clients to provide perspective, insight, and accountability, helping clients be stronger leaders, surpass their targets, and feel more fulfilled.
Coaching is not:
- Advising/Mentoring: where an industry or subject-matter expert instructs you on the best way to do something based on their knowledge and skills
- Therapy/Counseling: where a healthcare professional diagnoses and resolves painful or self-destructive beliefs, behaviors, and feelings.
My clients fall into 2 major groups:
- Early-Stage Founders: Seed and Series A funded startup founders
- Independent Operators: Full-time consultants, creators, and business owners
They’re typically achievement-oriented leaders who are trying to do innovative work in complex environments with limited resources. Great clients have the self-awareness to realize they may have blind spots and could benefit from grounded perspective from a trusted partner.
I’m proud of what my clients have been able to achieve and grateful for being a part of that journey.
Jason has an uncanny ability to help unearth root issues that are the source of problems. He was easy to connect with, insightful, and provided effective next steps to help me towards a new project. Highly recommended!Victor S., Investor & Real Estate Developer
Jason and I were only able to work together for a short period, but in every session the value was clear. Jason is sharp, experienced, and most of valuable of all he will always give it to you straight.Brian Liou, YC-backed founder
It’s important to find a coach who’s right for you and fits your style. Here are five principles that guide how I work with my clients.
- A safe place —Our confidential sessions allow you to let your guard down. We can explore any idea, feeling, or concern without fear of judgement—whether in your personal or professional life.
- Your agenda—We work around your goals, values, and ways of operating — not your investors or your partners or even mine.
- Grounded perspective—Get a informed opinion on your situation from someone who’s seen, heard, and lived nearly every startup / small business scenario and has no ulterior motive
- Practical interactions—Our sessions are a place to role-play tough conversations, weigh pro’s and con’s, explore alternative scenarios, and other useful activities to advance your agenda.
- Accountability—We often struggle to prioritize certain aspects of our lives. Coaching helps ensure your health, relationships, and creative spark never fall off the radar.
All my coaching is conducted remotely over Skype or Facetime.
My coaching packages start at $2,000 for a 3 month engagement with biweekly calls. Clients can then renew for another engagement or transition to per-call pricing.
Why don’t I sell one-off calls right off the bat?
Because making an upfront commitment is important to lasting change. If you wanted to become a better dancer you wouldn’t just take a single salsa class. If you wanted to become a better public speaker, you wouldn’t give a single speech and call it a day. Same for coaching.
Coaching is a high leverage investment in a central part of your business: your mentality. For most clients, executive coaching is covered as a valid business expense.
Get in touch
If you think that working together might help you bring more to your business or creative endeavors, I’d love to chat. Find some time for 30 min exploratory conversation.
Jason Shen is a first-generation immigrant and a three-time startup founder whose raised millions in venture capital from investors like Y Combinator, Techstars, Betaworks Ventures, and Amazon. His last company was acquired by Facebook, where he works as a product manager. His ideas on startups, leadership, and innovation have appeared in TechCrunch, Fast Company, and Quartz and his TED talk on the future of talent has 4.1M views. Jason holds a BS and MS in Biology from Stanford University and serves on the board of the Presidential Innovation Fellows Foundation.
Jason first experienced the power of coaching as a gymnast, where his coaches helped him advance to become a US junior national team member and a NCAA national champion. Over time, he’s worked with life, dating, and executive coaches to improve his goals—and brings the best of those experiences to his own practice.
The Annual Review Blueprint
A reflection and goal setting framework for making next year a huge success that’s reached more that 50k readers.
TED Talk on Future of Hiring
My TED talk on why we should care more about ability than experience when evaluating talent with 4M+ views.
Ridejoy Lessons Learned
An in-depth review of my first company, Ridejoy, why it failed, and what I learned from building it. Written over 4 years.