Hi there, I’m Jason Shen. I’m a first-generation Chinese-American, grew up in the suburbs of Boston, and spent nearly a decade in Silicon Valley before settling in Brooklyn (for now).
Since 2010, The Art of Ass-Kicking has been my home for stories, ideas, and research about making new things and creating positive change in institutions, organizations, teams, and ourselves.
I work as a product manager at Etsy, where I focus on building products that serve our creative entrepreneurs through our seller-facing iOS and Android apps. I also advocate on behalf of Asian Americans, particularly men, through the Asian American Man Study which surveys hundreds of East, Southeast, and South Asian men annually. I served as a Presidential Innovation Fellow under President Obama and co-founded a Y Combinator-backed startup called Ridejoy, which helped tens of thousands of people share long-distance rides across the US and Canada.
Prior to all that, I earned bachelor’s and master’s degrees in Biology from Stanford University, where I was captain of the NCAA championship-winning gymnastics team in 2009. I continue to pursue physical fitness: I ran the San Francisco Marathon in 2012, set the Guinness world record in Aztec push-ups in 2015, and was named as one of the fittest people in tech by Mashable and Men’s Fitness.
I have written for Fast Company and Quartz, been quoted in The New York Times, The Atlantic, Outside Magazine, and APM’s Marketplace, and spoken at places like Google, Auburn University, and the Inter-american Development Bank.
Note: the writing on this site represent my personal views and not the views of any current or past employers.
- Beyond the 10,000 Hour Rule
- An Open Letter to Managers of Women
- The New Napster: How Sci Hub is Blowing Up the Academic Publishing Industry
- No Silver Bullets: Etsy’s Randy Hunt on Product Design
- 17 Essential Best Practices for Making Things Happen
- Eleven Compelling Startup Pitch Archetypes
- How I Blew Out My Knee and Came Back to Win a National Championship
- How Gymnastics Taught Me to Man Up, Get Tough and Crush Fear
Beyond this blog, I enjoy finding ways to work with great organizations to share ideas, hold workshops, and train teams. Learn more about my speaking work here.
I love meeting new people — reach me at @jasonshen or email@example.com.
Join the Newsletter
If you’ve read this far then you probably would enjoy joining the The Art of Ass-Kicking newsletter, home for the broadly curious and deeply ambitious. Subscribe and get new articles (1-2 per month) on business, technology, startups, behavioral psychology, and culture. You’ll also hear about special projects I’m working on before anyone else. Sign up today and you’ll also get:
- Guide to YC: A 92pg manual on how to apply and get into the Y Combinator startup accelerator
- A 20 min excerpt from the audiobook version of How to Get What You Want
- Take 2017 By the Horns: a subscriber-only webinar outline the 5 themes I’m watching in 2017 and a process for conducting an annual review
No spam, ever. Unsubscribe at anytime.