Hi—I’m Jason Shen.
I am a first-generation Chinese-American and lived in Silicon Valley for nearly a decade before moving to New York City.
I co-founded of Headlight, a performance hiring platform that helps find, screen, and recruit talent. I also advocate on behalf of Asian Americans men, through the Asian American Man Study and serve on the board of directors for the Presidential Innovation Fellowship Foundation (PIFF).
Since 2010, The Art of Ass-Kicking has served as my personal blog where I break down how people and organizations gain the competitive advantage.
I’ve written over 300 posts on this blog, so there’s a lot to go through, but here some of my most-read pieces:
- Ridejoy: Lessons Learned
- Beyond the 10,000 Hour Rule
- An Open Letter to Managers of Women
- The New Napster: How Sci Hub is Blowing Up the Academic Publishing Industry
- No Silver Bullets: Etsy’s Randy Hunt on Product Design
- 17 Essential Best Practices for Making Things Happen
- Eleven Compelling Startup Pitch Archetypes
- How I Blew Out My Knee and Came Back to Win a National Championship
- How Gymnastics Taught Me to Man Up, Get Tough and Crush Fear
Note: the writing on this site represent my personal views and not the views of any current or past employers.
I was most recently part of the TED residency, a competitive program held twice a year at TED’s headquarters in SoHo where I worked on The Talent Playbook. Before that, I was a product manager at Etsy, where I focused on building products that served our creative entrepreneurs through our seller-facing mobile apps. I served as a Presidential Innovation Fellow under President Obama and co-founded a Y Combinator-backed startup called Ridejoy, which helped tens of thousands of people share long-distance rides across the US and Canada.
I earned bachelor’s and master’s degrees in Biology from Stanford University, where I was captain of the NCAA championship-winning gymnastics team in 2009. I continue to pursue physical fitness: I ran the San Francisco Marathon in 2012, set the Guinness world record in Aztec push-ups in 2015, and was named as one of the fittest people in tech by Mashable and Men’s Fitness.
Join the Newsletter
If you’ve read this far then you probably would enjoy joining the The Art of Ass-Kicking newsletter, home for the broadly curious and deeply ambitious. Subscribe and get new articles (1-2 per month) on business, technology, startups, behavioral psychology, and culture. You’ll also hear about special projects I’m working on before anyone else. Sign up today and you’ll also get:
- Guide to YC: A 92pg manual on how to apply and get into the Y Combinator startup accelerator
- A 20 min excerpt from the audiobook version of How to Get What You Want
- Take 2017 By the Horns: a subscriber-only webinar outline the 5 themes I’m watching in 2017 and a process for conducting an annual review
No spam, ever. Unsubscribe at anytime.
I love meeting new people — reach me at @jasonshen or with the form below