Hey, I’m Jason.
I make interesting and sometimes useful things, mostly on the internet.
I work as a product manager at Etsy on the Seller Experience team, where I build features and improve the experience for 1.5M sellers around the world. I was a marketer and product manager at Percolate, a Presidential Innovation Fellow at the White House / Smithsonian, and a cofounder of Ridejoy, a YC-backed community marketplace for long-distance rideshare.
I was born in China, raised in a suburb of Boston, and spent almost a decade in Silicon Valley (Stanford + San Francisco) before settling (for now) in Brooklyn.
About The Art of Ass-Kicking
This is a blog about business, technology, and behavior change.
I started it in 2010 as a way to document my experiences working at a startup. Since then, I’ve written 300+ posts about everything from my time as a gymnast, to great books I’ve read, to advice on a career in technology, lessons on doing startups, to frameworks for thinking, to a variety of personal challenges, thought-provoking quotes, and even personal failures.
The Art of Ass-Kicking has appeared in Vanity Fair, Mixergy, American Public Media’s Marketplace, Lifehacker, and Outside Magazine. I was named one of the “fittest people in tech” by Mashable and Men’s Fitness. More importantly, it has allowed me to connect with interesting people from all across the globe and it’s an effort I find deeply fulfilling.
Stuff I’ve worked on
- Cofounded Ridejoy, a Y Combinator backed startup that built a network of 46k+ drivers and passengers sharing rides across the US and Canada.
- Set a Guinness World Record for most number of Aztec push-ops completed in one minute (50 – Jan 2014)
- Selected by the White House to serve as a Presidential Innovation Fellow at the Smithsonian.
- Designed a choose-your-own startup adventure game featured on PSFK
- Launched a site offering strongly-worded suggestions for founders featured on DesignTaxi
- Trained and competed as a nationally competitive gymnast for 10 years and helped Stanford win a national championship
- Wrote an Amazon best-selling book called How to Get What You Want
Some of my most popular posts
- 17 Essential Best Practices for Making Things Happen
- How to be Relentlessly Resourceful [a practical guide]
- Eleven Compelling Startup Pitch Archetypes
- How I Blew Out My Knee and Came Back to Win a National Championship
- Taking Cold Showers
- How Gymnastics Taught Me to Man Up, Get Tough and Crush Fear
Speaking / Consulting
Beyond this blog, I enjoy finding ways to work with great organizations to share ideas, train teams, and build interesting things. Here are some of the places I’ve spoken or consulted with:
- InterAmerican Development Bank
- Ignite SF
- Ignite NYC
- Perfect Audience (Marin Software)
- George Mason University
- Malaysian Global Innovation & Creativity Center
I love meeting new people — reach me at @jasonshen or jasonyshen at the Google mail.
If you’ve read this far, you should really sign up for my newsletter:
Never miss a post by subscribing to The Art of Ass-Kicking. Join 2500+ readers who like smart, interesting, and actionable writings on business, technology, and behavior change. I also write Insider’s Notes that are exclusively shared with these readers.
100% privacy. No games, no B.S., no spam.