Hi, I’m Jason. I’m a product manager at Percolate — an enterprise marketing software company.
I enjoy writing/speaking, working out, and doing interesting projects with smart people. I hold bachelors and masters degrees from Stanford and spent nearly a decade in Silicon Valley before moving to NYC in 2014 (with a short stint in DC in between).
About the Art of Ass-Kicking
I started this blog in 2010 as a way to document my experiences working at a startup. Since then, I’ve written 300+ posts about everything from my time as a gymnast, to great books I’ve read, to advice on a career in technology, lessons on doing startups, to frameworks for thinking, to a variety of personal challenges, thought-provoking quotes, and even personal failures.
The Art of Ass-Kicking has appeared in Vanity Fair, Mixergy, American Public Media’s Marketplace, Lifehacker, and Outside Magazine. Mashable once put me in a dubiously-researched list of “The Fittest People in Tech“. More importantly, it has allowed me to connect with interesting people from all across the globe and it’s an effort I find deeply fulfilling.
Stuff I’ve Done
I have a pretty diverse set of interests and experiences, so here’s just a quick look into those. Have a more typical paragraph length bio on hand if you need one.
- Co-founded Ridejoy, a Y Combinator backed startup that built a network of 30k+ drivers and passengers sharing rides across the US and Canada.
- Set a Guinness World Record for Most Number of Aztec Push-Ups completed in One Minute (50 – Jan 2014)
- Chosen by the White House to serve as a Presidential Innovation Fellow at the Smithsonian.
- Trained and competed as a nationally competitive gymnast for 10 years and helped Stanford win a national championship
- Wrote an Amazon best-selling book called Winning Isn’t Normal: Meditations on the Art of Ass-Kicking.
- Worked as a product and marketing strategist for organizations ranging from seed and Series A startups to an international development bank.
- Embarked on personal challenges like getting rejected every day for 30 days, and training for different fitness challenges every month for a year.
Some of my most popular posts
- 17 Essential Best Practices for Making Things Happen
- How to be Relentlessly Resourceful [a practical guide]
- Eleven Compelling Startup Pitch Archetypes
- How I Blew Out My Knee and Came Back to Win a National Championship
- Taking Cold Showers
- How Gymnastics Taught Me to Man Up, Get Tough and Crush Fear
Speaking / Consulting
Beyond this blog, I enjoy finding ways to work with great organizations to share ideas, train teams, and build interesting things. Here are some of the places I’ve spoken or consulted with:
- InterAmerican Development Bank
- Ignite SF
- Perfect Audience (Marin Software)
- George Mason University
- Malaysian Global Innovation & Creativity Center
I love meeting new people — reach me at @jasonshen or jasonyshen at the Google mail.
If you’ve read this far, you should really sign up for my newsletter:
Never miss a post by subscribing to The Art of Ass-Kicking. Join 2000+ readers who like smart, interesting, and actionable writings on startups, business, fitness, design, marketing, and making sh*t happen. I also write Insider’s Notes that are exclusively shared with these readers.
100% privacy. No games, no B.S., no spam.