Hi, I’m Jason. I’m a product manager at Percolate — an enterprise marketing software company.
I enjoy writing/speaking, working out, and doing interesting projects with smart people. I hold bachelors and masters degrees from Stanford and spent nearly a decade in Silicon Valley before moving to NYC in 2014 (with a short stint in DC in between).
About the Art of Ass-Kicking
I started this blog in 2010 as a way to document my experiences working at a startup. Since then, I’ve written 300+ posts about everything from my time as a gymnast, to great books I’ve read, to advice on a career in technology, lessons on doing startups, to frameworks for thinking, to a variety of personal challenges, thought-provoking quotes, and even personal failures.
The Art of Ass-Kicking has appeared in Vanity Fair, Mixergy, American Public Media’s Marketplace, Lifehacker, and Outside Magazine. Mashable once put me in a dubiously-researched list of “The Fittest People in Tech“. More importantly, it has allowed me to connect with interesting people from all across the globe and it’s an effort I find deeply fulfilling.
Stuff I’ve Done
I have a pretty diverse set of interests and experiences, so here’s just a quick look into those. Have a more typical paragraph length bio on hand if you need one.
- Co-founded Ridejoy, a Y Combinator backed startup that built a network of 30k+ drivers and passengers sharing rides across the US and Canada.
- Chosen by the White House to serve as a Presidential Innovation Fellow at the Smithsonian.
- Trained and competed as a nationally competitive gymnast for 10 years and helped Stanford win a national championship
- Wrote an Amazon best-selling book called Winning Isn’t Normal: Meditations on the Art of Ass-Kicking.
- Worked as a product and marketing strategist for organizations ranging from seed and Series A startups to an international development bank.
- Embarked on personal challenges like getting rejected every day for 30 days, and training for different fitness challenges every month for a year.
- Given talks on technology, startups, and innovation at Google (Jan 2014), FailCon (Oct 2013), Suzhou University (Nov 2014) and at Malaysia’s national innovation hub (Nov 2014).
Some of my most popular posts
- 17 Essential Best Practices for Making Things Happen
- How to be Relentlessly Resourceful [a practical guide]
- Eleven Compelling Startup Pitch Archetypes
- How I Blew Out My Knee and Came Back to Win a National Championship
- Taking Cold Showers
- How Gymnastics Taught Me to Man Up, Get Tough and Crush Fear
I love meeting new people — reach me at @jasonshen or jasonyshen at the Google mail.
If you’ve read this far, you should really sign up for my newsletter:
Never miss a post by subscribing to The Art of Ass-Kicking. Join 2000+ readers who like smart, interesting, and actionable writings on startups, business, fitness, design, marketing, and making sh*t happen. I also write Insider’s Notes that are exclusively shared with these readers.
100% privacy. No games, no B.S., no spam.