Hey, I’m Jason Shen. Since 2010, I’ve been writing here at the Art of Ass-Kicking about building products and companies, competing in sports and business, and fostering a more equitable world. Here’s a my bio:
Jason is a product manager at Etsy and a partner of a online side project bootcamp called Ship Your Side Project. He is the creator of the Asian American Man Study, which has been cited by NBC’s Asian America and The Atlantic. He served as a Presidential Innovation Fellow under President Obama and co-founded a Y Combinator startup called Ridejoy, which built a nationwide city-to-city ridesharing network.
Jason’s writing has appeared in Fast Company, Quartz, and Lifehacker, he has been quoted in The New York Times, National Journal, Outside Magazine, as well as NPR’s Marketplace, and he has been a speaker at Google, Work-Bench, Auburn University, and FailCon.
Jason received bachelor’s and master’s degrees from Stanford University, where he was captain of an NCAA championship-winning gymnastics team and wrote his honors thesis on the ethical allocation of liver transplants. He ran the San Francisco Marathon, holds a Guinness world record in Aztec push-ups, and was named as one of the fittest people in tech by Mashable and Men’s Fitness.
A first-generation Chinese immigrant, Jason grew up in the suburbs of Boston and spent nearly a decade in Silicon Valley before making his home in New York City.
Note: while I care deeply about and believe in the things covered in this blog, they represent my personal views and not the views of any current or past employers.
- Beyond the 10,000 Hour Rule: Talking with Anders Ericsson on How People Reach Expert Performance
- An Open Letter to Managers of Women
- The New Napster: How Sci Hub is Blowing Up the Academic Publishing Industry
- No Silver Bullets: Etsy’s Randy Hunt on Product Design
- 17 Essential Best Practices for Making Things Happen
- Eleven Compelling Startup Pitch Archetypes
- How I Blew Out My Knee and Came Back to Win a National Championship
- How Gymnastics Taught Me to Man Up, Get Tough and Crush Fear
Speaking / Training
Beyond this blog, I enjoy finding ways to work with great organizations to share ideas, train teams, and build interesting things. Learn more about my speaking work here.
I love meeting new people — reach me at @jasonshen or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Join the Newsletter
If you’ve read this far then you probably would enjoy joining the The Art of Ass-Kicking newsletter, home for the broadly curious and deeply ambitious. Subscribe and get new articles (1-2 per month) on business, technology, startups, behavioral psychology, and culture. You’ll also hear about special projects I’m working on before anyone else. Sign up today and you’ll also get:
- Guide to YC: A 92pg manual on how to apply and get into the Y Combinator startup accelerator
- A 20 min excerpt from the audiobook version of How to Get What You Want
- Take 2017 By the Horns: a subscriber-only webinar outline the 5 themes I’m watching in 2017 and a process for conducting an annual review
No spam, ever. Unsubscribe at anytime.